The Sleep Store values your privacy.
You are welcome to contact us at any time to review your contact details that are held in our customer database.
If you would like us not to store any information about your browsing on your computer you can make use of the "Private Browsing" feature of your browser to ensure that cookies are not retained after your session is completed.
If you wish to unsubscribe from our newsletter, please use the automatic unsubscribe link on any of our emails or contact us
1. The Good Stuff
We will only use your data to help us make your shopping experience the best we can.
2. Locked Down
Your privacy and trust is important to us. We’ll look after your data like it’s our own.
3. No Spam
Take control. We're easy to reach when you decide you no-longer want hear from us.
If you have any questions about how we protect your privacy you can drop us a line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sleep Store Limited ("The Sleep Store", "we", "us") is committed to respecting your privacy at all times. We appreciate and respect how important privacy is. If you have any questions about how we protect your privacy you can drop us a line to email@example.com.
The Sleep Store is the data controller for all our services.
The Sleep Store website and our services are all directed to people who are at least 18 years old or older. If you are under 18 years of age, you may only use The Sleep Store website with the involvement of a parent or guardian.
What sort of information do we collect?
• When you place and order, your name, billing or delivery address, order history with us, email address, phone number and encrypted version of your log in password. Depending in how you choose to interact with us we may also record your social media handle or screen name.
• Conversations, interactions or email communications with our staff may be recorded against your account to help us to offer you a better standard of customer service.
• Images that you have supplied to us electronically
• Use of our social media platforms
• Preferences concerning types of products or services.
Data collected when you use our website
To deliver the best website experience we can we collect technical data (including the IP of your device, the operating system and the browser your machine or device uses, your general location, the date and time you visited and the pages you viewed and interacted with as well as search terms you entered. Website usage data is collected to help us improve and offer the services you need each time you visit and to improve our services generally. We may also use this data to improve our advertising and marketing of related products and services.
How do we collect your information?
Ordinarily personal data will be collected directly from you when you interact or place an order with us, through our website, phone, text, email or letter, when you personally meet with one of our staff or where you use our services. For example we may take notes from our conversations with you, details of any complaints or comments you make, details of purchases you’ve made, items that you’ve viewed on our website or added to your basket, shopping preferences and wish list choices, voucher redemption's, brands or products you’ve shown interest in, web pages you visit and how and when you contact us.
• When you make an online purchase and check out as a guest (in which case we just collect transactional- based data).
• When you create an account with The Sleep Store.
• When you subscribe to our newsletter and join our mailing list.
• We capture information through cookies and similar technologies. You can manage these when you visit our site.
• When you engage or interact with us on social media.
• When you join our Rewards loyalty program.
• When you comment on or review our service or products.
• When you enter prize draws or competitions.
• When you submit an application for employment or contracting opportunities with us.
• When you book an appointment with us or attend one of our events or classes.
• When you complete any surveys, we send you.
• When you contact us by any means with queries, complaints etc.
• If you visit us at our premises, we typically have CCTV systems operating which may record your image during the visit.
• Where you have authorised this;
• A publicly available source;
What we use your information for
To process orders that you make through our website we must collect your personal data during the checkout, if we don’t, we can’t comply with our legal obligations or process your order. We may also keep your details for a reasonable period afterwards in order to help to respond to your order queries, refund requests, complaints, guarantees etc that might arise in the future, as well as help us to know how we may have previously communicated with you. Your details may be passed to a third party such as Courier Post so that we can deliver your order.
We must have a legal basis to process your personal data. In most cases, the legal basis will be one of the following:
• To allow us to comply with our legal obligations, for example obtaining proof of identity to enable us to meet our anti-fraud obligations;
• To allow us to take actions that are necessary in order to provide you with the product or service for example, to make and receive payments;
• Where we have your consent to do so;
• to meet our legitimate interests where these are not overridden by your rights, for example to understand how customers are using our website, products and services to help us improve the products and services we currently provide and to develop new services and products.
• To process your transactions and administer your account;
• To help us develop, market, improve, manage, administer and facilitate our services and operations
• For internal purposes (such as staff training and billing);
• as part of the investigation and analysis of incidents;
• to contract with authorised individuals;
• for us or our commercial partners to notify you of services, special offers, opportunities, products or benefits which are being offered by The Sleep Store or any of our commercial partners or associated organisations;
• for security purposes and to improve our, or our commercial partners', services by using monitoring and tracking technologies in relation to our online services and properties; or
• to conduct market research and to promote and market our, or our commercial partners', products and services.
By providing your email address and/or mobile phone number, you consent to us sending you information connected with the above collection and use purposes via email or text message. We may also send you newsletters or other information we think you may be interested in and which may market and promote our products and services. The messages you receive from us will have instructions for how you can easily unsubscribe and remove yourself from our mailing list.
Who will we share you information with?
Personal data held by The Sleep Store will be accessible by The Sleep Store staff where it is necessary for that staff member to carry out their duties.
We will not disclose your personal data to other people or agencies except where:
• You have authorised such disclosure;
• Disclosure is required by our contractors (for the purposes of the services they provide), so that we can complete a transaction on your behalf or provide you with a service that you have requested;
• Disclosure is to a law enforcement agency that is entitled to such information under its statutory powers;
• We are required to provide the information by law;
• Disclosure is required for safety and security and data assurance purposes;
• Disclosure was the purpose of collecting the data;
• Disclosure is required to facilitate the sale, disposal, assignment or transfer of The Sleep Store or any of its assets or subsidiaries or related companies;
• Disclosure is necessary following a transfer of our rights and duties;
• Disclosure is necessary to market, review or improve our services.
• Disclosure is necessary for third parties to offer you products and services that may be of interest to you and to optimise the advertisements on our websites; or
• It is necessary for a function of The Sleep Store, such as for legal or auditing purposes.
We may share your personal data with the following organisations in a manner consistent with the use and disclosure purposes listed above:
• Our contractors (for the purposes of the services they provide);
• Law enforcement agencies;
• Our authorised business partners;
• Service providers that maintain, review and develop our technology infrastructure
• Our credit card and debit card payment processing agents. The security of your credit and debit card information is very important to us. For that reason, we have contracted leading payment services agents to store those details securely. When you provide us with your card details, and if you instruct us to save your card details for future transactions, we retain only part of those card details, before sending them to our payment services agent using the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol, which encrypts the card details while they are transmitted. Our payment services agents will then securely store your card details in accordance with their own security protocols, and electronically confirm to us each time that you wish to make a transaction if your existing card details held by them are still valid. Sharing your card details in this manner helps us ensure that your card details are securely stored at all times and that once transmitted we do not hold your card details.
• Organisations that assist with our product planning, analytics, research and development;
• Organisations involved in a transfer of our assets or business;
• Advertising networks including social media platforms that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users. We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach their target audience. We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience
• Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of Our Website or;
• Other organisations involved in our normal business practices, including our contractors, as well as our accountants, auditors, lawyers or other external advisers.
How do we protect your information and how long will we keep it for?
The Sleep Store implements and maintains security measures that are designed to provide reasonable protection against the loss, interference or misuse of your personal data and to prevent unauthorised access, modification or disclosure of your personal data.
Communications over the internet, such as emails, are not secure, unless they have been encrypted. We may and we may allow third parties to monitor our network for security and data assurance purposes.
We are only permitted to store your personal information for as long as necessary having regard to the purposes for which it was collected or a related or ancillary purpose. We may delete your personal information after a reasonable period of time and, if you have not used our services for some time, you may have to re-enter, or re-supply, your personal information to us. At times, we may need to retain your information for a longer period where we need the information to comply with regulatory or legal requirements or where we may need it for our legitimate purposes. If we do not need to retain information for this period of time, we may destroy, delete or anonymise it more promptly.
What if you do not provide us with your information?
You can choose not to give us your personal data. However, if you do not provide your information to us, we may not be able to:
• Provide you with the product or service you want;
• Respond to your requests or enquiries;
• Manage or administer your product or service;
• Personalise your experience with us; or
• Verify your identity or protect against fraud.
You have certain rights regarding your personal data. These include the following rights to:
• request that we supply you (or a nominated third party) with an electronic copy of the personal data that you have provided us with; In New Zealand The Privacy Act 1993 (“Act”) gives you the right to access information held about you by us. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of $50 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you and we will make best efforts to complete within 5 working days. In Australia under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), you have certain rights to access the personal information we collect and hold about you. Information we hold about you can be accessed by logging into your account on the website. You should ensure the information, such as delivery address and email, is up to date and accurate. Subject to the exceptions of APP 12.3, you may make a request to receive any additional information we may hold about you, and we will provide this information to you within a reasonable time.
• Inform us of a correction to your personal data;
• Exercise your right to restrict our use of your personal data;
• Exercise your right to erase your personal data;
• Withdraw consent at any time for the processing of your personal data;
• Object to particular ways in which we are using your personal data; or
• Lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
Our ability to exercise these rights will depend on a number of factors and, in some instances, we will not be able to comply with your request, for example, because we have legitimate grounds for not doing so or where the right does not apply to the particular data we hold about you. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a query. If you would like to make a complaint or learn more about your rights in relation to your personal information, please contact the New Zealand Privacy Commissioner (www.privacy.org.nz) or any other supervisory authority.